Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm with stupid


I love children. I really do. I would never want to say an unkind word to a child. But let me TELL you about my nephew. He is a cute kid. The round chubby type that you can't help but love but sometimes you would rather chew on aluminium foil than be in the same room a second longer. He's whiny. Cries way two often to be twelve, but as you will see, he does not really function on a twelve year old level either. I don't believe he has a learning disability, or I would not be writing this. He's just a little... peculiar.


His parents are divorced. Typical setup, mom and dad switch off days/weeks as to who gets him from school, soccer etc. So the other day he was waiting for the bus and must have been kicking rocks around in the parking lot or jamming a paper clip through an eraser because he missed the bus. No big deal right? Happens all the time. The kid is supposed to just walk over and tell a teacher, teacher calls parent, parent picks up kid. Easy. Not this kid. No he just sits around until all the buses leave then goes and sits in the playground.


Mom thinks dad picked him up. He does this sometimes. He usually calls but, no worries, its cool.


Somewhere around 11pm a police officer rolls through the school campus. Just checkin things out. Routine. He sees the kid. Kid's just sittin there smiling.


Officer: Hey kid. What are you doing here? Where are your parents?


Kid: I missed the bus. I guess they are at home.


Officer: You missed the bus and you did not tell anyone? Well that was not real smart, but lets get you home. Come on, get in. What's your name kid?


Kid: Scott.


Officer: Ok, Scott. Where do you live?


Kid: That way. (points up street)


Officer: Ok I am going to need a little more information from you. What is your address?


Kid: I don't know


Officer: You don't know your address?


Kid: No.


Officer: You have got to be kidding me! How old are you kid?!


Kid: Twelve.


Officer: You are twelve years old and you don't know your address? Do you know what street? Do you know your phone number?


Kid: No but i think i might be able to tell you how to get there if you drive. I never have to use my address so i don't know it and my momma always dials my daddy for me.


This is a true story! After about 2 hours of driving around he finally recognizes my house as being his aunts. At least that is what Officer Stamey tells me.


I drive the kid home. He continues to tell me he does not know his name or telephone number!




No comments: