Thursday, January 24, 2008

Why 5 year olds should not drive


So here is the scoop.

Right before Christmas my kids and I went out to pick up a few things at the local buck store. I just wanted some sugar, swiffer refills and a bottle of clear nail polish. We had been in the store for about 30 minutes. It had been a long day at the office and I was really ready to just go home, but my son kept pestering me to go back down the Christmas decoration isle. It was really out of character for me to give in to his begging, but I did. In retrospect, I now see it as Devine Intervention. You will see why, keep reading.

So we walk back down the isle. It takes a total of 45 seconds, max. But those 45 seconds may have saved my daughters life and my ability to walk!

We head to the check out line. You know how when you are standing in line and someone behind you starts up a a conversation? Sometimes I communicate and on occasion I give them a one-liner and turn my attention to the magazines or act as if the candy stand its the most enthralling thing that I have laid my eyes on in months. Well this time it was a young, almost frail looking pregnant woman. She makes some comment about "kids" and I reply lightly. I not really in the mood, but I humor her for the moment. When I have paid for my items, I grab my bag and my daughter's hand. My son follows suit.

We are walking through the sliding glass doors and approach the parking lot. As we emerge, I see a 80's economy van pointing towards us, just about 5 feet from the side walk. I look into the driver's seat and see a little boy in a red pullover. My first thought is that some little boy was sitting on his grampa's lap, pretending to drive. I wish I had been right. It only takes a moment for me to realize that my first thought is so not the case. About the time I come to this realization, the little boy floors it. I am thankful that the van was in reverse, because he would have flattened all three of us, but it was still not good news.

He rams into the back of my car. Hitting the trunk, and bouncing off to hit the car next to me in the bumper.

I want to pause her and explain why the 45 seconds became so important. If my son had not persuaded me to stay in the store, I would have been putting my bag into the trunk. My daughter, who never leaves my side in public, would have been hit for sure. So thank God for working through my son to intervene in the situation.

Now back to the story.

The van is now rocking against the car next to mine because of the torque that those vans have. My daughter screams, I tell my son to grab his sister and run inside and find someone.

Out of concern for the boy and other in the parking lot, I run over to the van in true hero style. I jerk open the door (unlocked of course) and slam it into park. Now I turn around, and what do I see, not just 1 boy, but 3. The red pullover boy and his two younger brothers strapped in car seats.

About this time guess who comes running out of the store? The frail looking pregnant girl. She come over to the van apologising and saying, Did it hurt your car? I say: "Why don't you check on your 3 kids. I will look at my car."

Once I get a run down from the mother, she says that she thought it was too cold to get the kids out and she just ran in to get diapers.

Get this logic: She felt that the cool weather was more of a threat than leaving 3 young kids unattended in a running vehicle with the doors unlocked!! Wonder what will happen when she is responsible for 4 kids?

WOW!!

Copper

8 comments:

david mcmahon said...

Copper!!!! You're back,

I'm delighted to see you posting again. And what a memorable post this is.

See - I never forget old friends!

Keep smiling

David

B.T.Bear (esq.) said...

Wow!

Thank goodness yor littol boy got yor attenshun! I shall mayke shor my Mummy reeds this, an lerns never to ignor me agen!

Glad yor all OK!

:@}

lime said...

here from david's....EGADS!!!! that is just awful! very glad you and your kids were safe and i certainly hope that woman learned something she won't soon forget.

Jeni said...

Oh my goodness! You're so right about that extra bit of time saving your daughter's life, maybe yours and others too. Incredible, absolutely incredible what some parents do - or don't do too with respect to children's safety in particular.

Jenera said...

This is exactly why I never leave my son in the car! I am terrified of something like this happening. Thank goodness for the Christmas aisle! It's so good that none of you were hurt.

Anonymous said...

You have it together, girl. Quick thinking and acting by sending your kids into the store and you, yourself, taking swift action with concern for the child at the wheel. Thank goodness you and yours weren't hurt.

BumbleVee said...

exactly the reason I say there should be a "means" test before people are even allowed to have children. And...I certainly don't mean money when I say "means"....a few working brain cells may come into the equation.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.