Wednesday, April 18, 2007

So judgemental!






I judge people. I its not intentional most of the time. Its almost a reflex. I read a cute blog of a friend of that talked about the natural urge to look at the grocery carts of the people in line before you. Then make small judgements about their purchases. I look at my own cart and think "damn if someone is paying attention, they must think I'm nuts!" Take this sample receipt that I found in my purse:


120z sour cream

10ct magnum condoms

toilet bowl brush

blue ice tray (4)

lg breed canine leash/woven

5lb Dixie crystals cane sugar

6x4 wire screening

1ct electrical tape


If I found this receipt and drew my own conclusions, I would think the person was into some serious S&M, in reality, I was repairing my dog lot and an X-box controller, making baked potatoes for supper and sweet tea to go with it. The condoms, well a girl gotta do something after all that to unwind!


That said, its not just grocery carts. I look at people and try to figure them out too. A bad habit. Its unfair to others, I know, but at least I keep my opinions to myself. Good thing too. Because I try to figure out stuff like: who are they sleeping with, who are they trying to sleep with? Would I eat from their kitchen, (another blog in itself), do they have pets, are the secretly emo? Is that her real hair? nails? tits? Is that what I think it is in his pants, and if it is does he have a ring on his left hand? A tan line where the ring is supposed to go, but he saw me checkin him out, and hid the ring and attempted to hide something else in his pants?


The list just goes on and on. Sometimes I just pull up a bench to the world and watch, laugh and wonder...


Copper

11 comments:

HB said...

It’s also convenient to steal out of other people’s carts. I suppose that could be construed as, stealing a part of another person’s life.

copper stiletto said...

hey good one! It COULD possibly be viewed that way. How about adding to someone's cart in hopes of changing their life?

Bart said...

That HB guys scares me, but also makes me laugh.

copper stiletto said...

Me too bart, me too!

He is funny though! Guess it takes all kinds!

The Mad Doctor said...

My Dad, who was a grifter to support his meager Canadian army income in the 1940s (hey, he was old when I was born) has tried to teach me about a person based on their shoes, their accessories, their gait.

It was only after retirement that he ventured into a supermarket for the first time. He would spend hours trying to figure out people from their contents.

Now when I visit him, we inspect carts of the denizens of his little island village.

The family that stalks together sticks together.

(also - thanks for stopping by my blog; what did you do about the 1 leg disparity?!?)

Deb said...

You too huh, geez I seem to notice everything about people. Maybe that's why I write about quirky stuff sometimes.

Lady_T said...

Lol we all judge, can't help it.

I know what you mean tho, I'm always conscious of what I buy and because I love sweets I buy a lot of it. I usally have loads of sweet things and like one bag of tangerines or something. I'm aware that people stare in my cart but, meh! That's their problem. Soon be mine though when my teeth starts to fall out!

david mcmahon said...

G'day Copper,

That's why I really enjoy your work. I'm so focused on getting in and out of Coles (Aussie supermarket chain) as quick as possible that I never look at other people's trolleys.

But I reckon it sounds like fun. You might have got me onto something now!

Seriously, though, I love pulling up a pew and watching the world. Maybe that's why we like writing.

Take care

David
http://david-mcmahon.blogspot.com/

Bart said...

Heheh. Other countries and their funny words. Trolleys. :D

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Life's too short for food shopping. I get all mine on-line, and delivered.. no more fighting for a parking space, with the added bonus I won't encounter the scarey hb, or that family of stalkers out there. (shudder.)

acaligurl said...

well about the only thing i figure is at about 5.30pm in a grocery store a guy with tv dinners and a six pack in probably single!!