Thursday, May 31, 2007

An 80's baby



I had a fun childhood. Kids today are too tied into technical, electronic, and expensive interests. What ever happened getting out of school for the summer and spending almost all day outside. We were either able or forced to entertain ourselves with limited supplies.









What ever happened to games like:


Kick the Can


Hide and Seek


Red Rover, Red Rover


H.O.R.S.E. or


Mother May I?





What about the cartoons? There were no super computer-animated graphics, just hand drawn wholesome characters. Do you remember:


The Smurfs


The MonchiChi's


Rainbow Brite


Jem and the Misfits


Sailor Moon


He-Man





Then I became a teenager. Late 80's rap, rock and pop:





Too Short


Run DMC


Cindy Lauper


Madonna


Toto


Prince


Easy-E


Michael Jackson


Kix


Joan Jett


Lita Ford


Alice Cooper





I had the big hair, the off the shoulder ripped tees, torn acid washed jeans. Wore hot pink lipstick and bright blue eyeshadow. I was cool! no, I was Rad!





The 80's: A happy time to live.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, whatever happened. And what would the kids of today do without their cells or iPods or e-mails or text messaging. I'm dating myself, but my first job - we never even had a computer and I had to learn shorthand in school (I hated this subject and thought the whole process was stupid). But you're correct - the simple things are long gone, however, maybe the generation or two before that, felt like we do now.

Cheers,
Deb

Anonymous said...

You forgot all the driving around today to various sports, dance, cheerleading, karate, etc.

phaseoutgirl said...

you are so 80s, girl! have a look at my post about my own childhood summers, yes, they were outdoors...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah you said it - tears in the jeans, tight perms, oversized jumpers... go baby!

I used to go fishing, and jumping into the lake in summer. Our kids will only go swimming if it's a clean pool. They don't like to get dirty!

HB said...

Well I'm sure when the kids of today grow up they will be complaining about; what happened to downloading music and "surfing the internet and CGI driven movies and Play Station....

Anyway, if anyone’s looking for me I’ll be making a tape for my Walkman and watching Back to the Future and Top Gun.

Bart said...

There are plenty of wholesome "classic" cartoons, that might not be hand drawn, but keep that feel, like Spongebob, Fairly Oddparents, and some others. You simply have to look a bit harder. I'm also a big fan of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, but that's definitely not hand drawn.

Lady_T said...

O no you did not just put Sailor Moon on there! I loved that show...

Like Suz50 said, the older generations probably think the same as us I suppose it will always be that way.

Doug said...

High tech in the 80's meant Commodore 64. I was in my 20's then so where's
my walker now? Can't remember..sooo
old.

Cheers,
Doug

david mcmahon said...

Hi Copper,

I used to play kick the can too. And like Phaseout Girl, we played outdoors constantly.

Look after yourself and stay in touch.

Keep smiling

David

phaseoutgirl said...

Copper dear,

More 80s stories and memories... I love it when my fave radio station plays 80's music... Ace of Base??

:-)
miss your posts...

Cecilia